Greetings all. This is my stab at a blog, something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I hope it’s fantastic, but if it sucks, them’s the breaks, right? It’s not like the internet doesn’t already have its share of suck.
My name is Caitlin. I live in Seattle and work in public relations and marketing. I really enjoy my job. I am getting married next month (omigodomigodomigod) to a wonderful fella I’ll call M. I’m 25. I’m a Pisces, if that matters. I’m the youngest in my family and have 3 older step siblings (we’re so close we generally drop the step) and one older half sister. I have a fabulous best friend. I don’t have any pets living with me because M is allergic to my cat, so my cat lives with my mom. My mom is awesome. Here’s some more stuff about me to get you, the hypothetical reader, more acquainted with me, the would-be blogger:
1. TV. I love TV. I don’t care who knows it. I think TV is great. I love HGTV and the Food Network. My favorite shows are Mad Men, Game of Thrones, The Ricky Gervais Show, The Killing, The Walking Dead, Dexter, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Louie. I also really enjoy guilty pleasure shows like True Blood and Pretty Little Liars.
2. Movies. I go see movies a lot. I watch movies a fair amount at home (though not often enough for M). I love horror movies. The schlockier, the better, in my opinion. My favorite movies are A Clockwork Orange, Alice in Wonderland (the Disney cartoon, not that blecky Tim Burton barf), American Psycho, Battle Royale, and Pulp Fiction.
3. Books: I love reading and (duh) writing. I’m currently in school getting my BA in English Lit, too. Right now I’m reading the Song of Ice and Fire books that Game of Thrones is based on. LOVE THEM! My favorite books are “The Bell Jar” by Sylvia Plath, “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (not a book per se, but a short story. Still, though, love it!), “Junkie” by William S. Burroughs, “Post Office” by Charles Bukowski, and “The Hobbit” and the LOTR trilogy by Tolkien. I also really enjoy graphic novels! My favorite series is Sin City by Frank Miller, but my favorite stand alone graphic novel is “Watchmen” by Alan Moore. I also really enjoy “Blankets.”
4. Music. I like it. Doesn’t everyone? M says I’m a music snob, but I tend to disagree. My favorites are Neutral Milk Hotel, The Decemberists, The Beatles, Arcade Fire, Blood Red Shoes, Metric, Elliott Smith, Fugazi, Garbage, Gogol Bordello, and a whole bunch of others. I also really like girl rock like Bikini Kill, Hole, and Sleater Kinney.
5. Food. I love food. This cannot be said enough. I love to bake. I love sweet things. My favorite cake is Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting. I love cupcakes. I love ice cream. I also love burritos and fried chicken. I love cheese. I love to eat.
6. Fitness. Possibly due to my love of food, I also enjoy fitness and make it a part of my (almost) daily life. I alternate running and lifting weights, two things I really enjoy. I also dabble in yoga and have been known to take a Zumba class.
7. Gardening. M and I bought a house about 5 years ago and inherited a rather amazing garden. I started taking care of it, and soon realized how much I enjoyed it. Right now it’s overgrown and crazy because I’ve been in full-on wedding planning mode, but I hope to get back into it after the honeymoon.
8. Fashion. I love clothes, shoes, and accessories. I gobble up fashion magazines like there’s no tomorrow. I love to shop. I enjoy shopping in flea markets and thrift stores, but I also really love the flagship Nordstrom downtown. My favorite stores are Anthropologie, H&M, Target, ModCloth, Buffalo Exchange, Crossroads, and Nordstrom.
9. Lists (obviously). I like making lists and crossing things off of them. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment.
10. I can’t think of anything else, but didn’t want to have a list of 9 things. I think 10 is better. As this progresses, I’m sure you’ll learn about other stuff I like.
1. Thai food. I don’t like the combination of peanuts with meat or noodles. I also don’t like coconut with anything. Pass.
2. Coffee. I know this is crazytown coming from a Seattleite, but I really don’t like coffee. It’s too bitter. The caffeine also effects me more than most people. If I’m REALLY exhausted, I’ll choke down a mocha, but that’s it. Curiously, I love coffee ice cream.
3. Gum. I don’t like gum. The flavor wears off too quickly and starts to hurt my jaw. I also cannot stand it when people snap their gum. It’s my biggest pet peeve.
4. When a dog’s ears get inside out. Fix your dog’s ears!
5. Guys who take their shirt off in public when they aren’t at a pool or beach. Really? Wearing a thin cotton shirt is too hot? This goes for buff dudes, too. Cover your shame, fellas.
That’s all for now, I suppose. I’m excited to see where this goes and what it turns into. Join me, won’t you?